The industrial hemp market is heating up, with manufacturers, researchers, physicians, and patients, awaiting the passage of the 2018 Farm Bill and the expected removal of hemp from the Controlled Substances Act. Businesses are moving to position themselves as top suppliers of hemp-based CBD products and investors are eagerly helping fund these endeavors.
As the international industrial hemp industry is starting to be flooded with hemp oil, topical creams, gummies and other edibles, several companies are aggressively pursuing the hemp-based CBD market.
Cannabis is Big Money
Just take a look at some of the top marijuana stocks trading on the U.S. exchanges:
- 22nd Century Group Inc
- Aphria Inc
- Aurora Cannabis Inc
NSYE: ACB 1
- CannTrust Holdings Inc
- Canopy Growth Corp
- Cronos Group Inc.
- Green Organic Dutchman Holdings Ltd
- Green Thumb Industries Inc
- GW Pharmaceuticals PLC- ADR
- Hexo Corp
- iAnthus Capital Holdings Inc
- Medical Marijuana Inc
- MedMen Enterprises Inc.
- Scotts Miracle-Gro Co
- THC Biomed Intl Ltd
- Tilray Inc
- Zynerba Pharmaceuticals Inc
It is Not Only Lucrative, its Helpful
CBD, short for cannabidiol, is the second-highest chemical composition in marijuana. While it is not psychoactive, it is thought to have medicinal effects and is currently being researched in more than 160 clinical trials for its use in cancer protocols and for use in other aliments. Strong evidence also exists that indicated CBD helps alleviate both inflammatory and neuropathic pain. Additionally, CBD is proven effective at treating seizures and epilepsy syndromes.
GW Pharma’s FDA-Approved CBD Drug
The FDA gave the nod for CBD by approving a CBD drug called Epidiolex, developed by GW Pharmaceuticals PLC, which treats seizures associated with Dravet and Lennox-Gastaut syndromes. These two types of seizures are of the worst types of childhood epilepsy syndromes that cannot be treated with regular ant seizure medication.
Zynerba Pharmaceuticals CBD Drug in the Pipeline for FDA Approval
Zynerba Pharmaceuticals Inc also has a CBD drug in the pipeline for children and adolescents with Fragile X Syndrome, an anxiety, hyperactive behavior and seizure disorder. The company is focused on developing and commercializing its own next generation synthetic cannabinoid therapeutics formulated for transdermal delivery.
FDA Approved Marijuana Cancer Drugs
Commercially available cannabinoids, such as Dronabinol, a pharmaceutical form of THC and Nabilone, a man-made CBD drug are FDA approved for the treatment of cancer-related side effects.
- Dronabinol (Marinol®), a registered trademark of Solvay Pharmaceuticals, is a gelatin capsule containing delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) that is approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat nausea and vomiting caused by cancer chemotherapy as well as weight loss and poor appetite in patients with AIDS. Syndros, a liquefied Dronabinol, made by DPT Lakewood LLC for Insys Therapeutics, was FDA approved in 2006. Indications are the same for Syndros as they are for Marinol.
Insys is also developing a cannabidiol (CBD)-based drug designed to treat severe pediatric epilepsy. The drug is currently in mid-stage clinical trials.
- Nabilone (Cesamet®), developed by Eli Lilly and Company and received FDA approval in 1985 to market it, but it withdrew that approval in 1989 for commercial reasons. Valeant Pharmaceuticals acquired the rights from Lilly in 2004 and succeeded in 2006 to gain FDA approval. Cesamet is a synthetic cannabinoid that acts much like THC. It can be taken by mouth to treat nausea and vomiting caused by cancer chemotherapy when other drugs have not worked.
In Canada and some parts of Europe, Nabiximols, developed by GW Pharmaceuticals, is a cannabinoid drug being used to treat pain associated with cancer, as well as muscle spasms and pain from multiple sclerosis (MS). It’s a mouth spray made up of a whole-plant extract with THC and Cannabidiol (CBD) in about a one to one mix. At this time, it is not approved in the United States, but is being tested in clinical trials to see if it can help a number of conditions.
About Leaf Vertical, Inc.
Leaf Vertical Inc. is an innovative, clinical-stage biopharmaceutical research company, committed to discovering and developing novel therapeutics from its proprietary cannabinoid product platform.
For more information on Leaf Vertical or its Cannabinoid (CBD) clinical trials, use in the treatment of specific types of malignancies related to glioblastoma, myeloma, gastrointestinal, and breast cancer, when administered in conjunction with Standard of Care, please contact Leaf Vertical by phone at 407-776-9217 or visit the company’s headquarters at 805 S. Kirkman Rd, Suite 202, Orlando, Florida 32811.